top of page

Report: Hamworthy United 5-0 Hamble Club

Fawzi Saadi

We were hoping to build up some momentum after our remarkable second half winning comeback against Amesbury in the previous game. Hamble Club had climbed the league in recent weeks, and were now in fourth position at the start of play. The 2-0 defeat at Bashley in their previous game had halted a three match winning run for them.

We featured two new, but familiar faces in their line up. Keeper Tom Rees and forward Jamie Beasley had both transferred to the Hammers during the week from Weymouth and Portland respectively. Hamble like Hamworthy appeared to have made quite a few changes since United's emphatic win at the Abbey in August.

In the early stages the Hammers had the slight edge on play, although neither team was able to create a decent early chance. However, all that changed in the 14th minute. Adam Costello knocked the ball down to defender Declan Randall whose cracking shot from the edge of the area found the top right corner of the net. United remained in control and doubled their lead on 23 minutes. Connor Cocklin did well to get to, and turn in James King's splendid low cross at the near post. The Monks' first real attempt on goal finally came on 40 minutes; a hard and low free kick by Jordan Ragguette just missed the post. This had been a very satisfactory half for the Hammers. They looked much more solid at back, with Beasley adding that extra dimension to their play with some clever diagonal balls that set up good chances.

Fawzi Saadi came on after the break for Tony Rolls who had suffered a calf strain towards the end of the first half, but this did not affect United’s rhythm. Indeed, almost immediately, a floated ball from Beasley was flicked on by Cocklin, before an in-form King dragged his shot just wide. The Hammers however did get their third goal soon after in the 48th minute. Beasley's out-manoeuvred a couple of Monks' players in a good run before laying the ball forward to Ollie Davis. Davis's exquisite effort from some 25 yards curled into the net just inside the far post, and just out of the reach of the diving keeper Luke Deacon. Although Hamble’s Ryan Turner fired narrowly wide on 61 minutes, it only punctuated United's dominance. The score was becoming a rout on 69 minutes; James King rammed the ball home just inside the far post, after being fed the ball by substitute Louie Coulson. A few minutes later the hosts’ stopper Tom Rees, who had a commanding presence throughout, produced his first real save. A rare lapse in the Hammers' defence let in Ragguette, but his fierce near post shot was ably beaten out for a corner.

We made it five with three minutes to go, Louie Coulson, having chipped the ball onto the bar moments earlier, poked the ball home at the near post after good work by Cam Munn and James King.

This was an overall excellent all round performance by United against a highly placed and in form team. The Hammers looked lethal up front, and well organized in both the middle and at the back. This gave boss Tim Sills his first clean sheet and the best performance since he took over. It was refreshing to see the side playing with so much confidence, and bodes well for the future.

Hamworthy United: T Rees, T Cooper, D Randall, J Gleeson, A Costello, T Rolls (F Saadi 45), J King, L Francis (c), C Cocklin (C Munn 70), O Davis, J Beasley (L Coulson 60)

Unused Subs: J Filkins, D Madouyat

Goal: Randall, Cocklin, Davis, King, Coulson


66 views0 comments


bottom of page