top of page

Moneyfields v Hamworthy Utd

The Hammers returned to cup action and a re-visit to Moneyfields. Here's the report:

Moneyfields 2 Hamworthy United 1

Wessex League Cup 3rd Round (Tuesday 9th November 2021)

This was yet another away trip for the Hammers having already played 16 away trips this season, and this was also their 8th away cup tie. They have covered a distance of approximately 1,600 miles before this game to fulfil these fixtures. Tim Sills again had to dig deep into his playing resources with a complete experienced Wessex League team being unavailable for selection for this match, due to injury or unavailability. He made seven changes to the starting line-up that had played against Bashley four days earlier. This included starting last year’s under Eighteen and now Reserves’ keeper Lucas Barringer in goal, with several other Players having very little, if any Wessex League experience in the squad.

It is fair to say that the Hammers did more than just hold their own in the first half. This, despite it being the first time for many of them that they had played together. Luckily United were still able to field six regular first teamers, and a couple of recent transfer-ins with Wessex League experience. This not only protected their young keeper, but also enabled them to take the game to the opposition. In fact, but for two fine saves by the Moneyfields keeper they would have deservedly taken the lead. Both came from excellent crosses from Jamie Beasley playing out on the left-wing. First, Price did well to block Max Wilcock’s close-range effort, and then five minutes later did even better. This time making a top class save from Jack Satterley’ attempt at the near post, to keep the scores level. With the experienced Billy Walker and Connor Cocklin in defence and Eddie Hodge and captain Lee Francis in mid-field; all of whom were playing their part, Moneyfields were unable to create anything that keeper Barringer could not deal with. When the half time whistle came it must have been Tim Sills who was the more pleased of the two managers, especially as they had also looked the more likely to score.

H/T 0-0


n the first quarter of the second half Hamworthy continued to make the better chances, most of these coming from Beasley. His cross to the far post was met by Skipper Francis who unfortunately headed just wide. They did however eventually get their reward, and that came in the 61st minute. Under 23 player Joe Wearden making only his second full appearance for the first team, found the space and the time to pick out Max Wilcock who headed the ball home to make it 0-1 to the Hammers. Both teams made substitutions, but as the half progressed some United players understandably began to tire. Moneyfields came close to squaring the match when the ball thundered off the cross-bar, but then fell into safety. The home team were now completely on top, and just when it looked as though United might hold out, they equalised with six minutes to go. In the 90th minute, and with penalties looking likely Moneyfields grabbed the winner. A long through ball fell kindly for Franklyn who was able roll the ball past the advancing Barringer as he attempted to narrow the angle and, into an empty net.

Of course, it would have been nice to win this game, and perhaps to have gone on and retained the cup they won last year, but the odds were stacked against them. They certainly made a strong team like Moneyfields fight all the way to the end, and Hamworthy United Football Club should be very proud of Tim Sills and his men. Good luck to Moneyfields in the next round away to Shaftesbury.

F/T 2-1

Hamworthy United: Barringer, Gentle, Beasley, Wearden, Walker, Cocklin, Francis, Lanahan, Hodge, Satterley, Wilcock.

Used Subs: Storey, Mukambi

31 views0 comments


bottom of page