top of page

Hythe & Dibden v Hamworthy Utd

The games are coming thick and fast now....


Wessex Premier League ( Tuesday14th September 2021)

This was the first ever Wessex League game between the two Clubs. Since their promotion to the Premier League at the start of this season Hythe & Dibden have struggled, and before the game were rooted at the bottom and pointless. On the other hand, Tim Sills; with no doubt Saturday’s FA Cup match in mind was able to make full use of his large squad, and make several changes to his starting line-up.

This game was almost a carbon copy of the Hammers’ last game against US Portsmouth; in as much it was one way traffic for the whole ninety minutes. Understandably the home team defended by putting ten behind the ball, and keeping one striker up front. Kicking down the sloping pitch United dominated, but were unable for a long time to finish off their excellent approach work with a goal. Some last ditch defending and some excellent goalkeeping kept Hamworthy at bay until the 25th minute when following some more good build-up play Ed Hodge sent in a shot come centre that caught the keeper in two minds and found the corner of the net. Try as they might United were unable to add to their score before the half time whistle. The home side must have been relatively pleased with the way they had defended, but also must have known it was going to be a tough second half.

H/T 0-1

Kicking up the slope in the second period suited the Hammers, and it took just three minutes to double their score. When it came it was from an unusual source; Ed Hodge getting on the end of a right hand cross and finding the net with a rare Eddy header. United were now having even more of the play, and took just another three minutes for them to score their third goal. Following some good play between Cam Munn and Hodge the ball found captain Lee Francis a yard or so out for a simple tap in. Hamworthy’s fourth goal was also very satisfying. The recently out of luck Dan Cann rolled back the years; when he turned and unleashed an unstoppable hallmark thunder-bolt into the roof of the net. Hythe kept trying and had the odd break, but they never really penetrated the United defence to cause any real problems. The nearest they came was when Shane Murphy came to the edge of the penalty area to clear a through ball. However, his clearance kick rebounded off the legs of an advancing forward, and the ball went past him and luckily just past the foot of the post. As the half-progressed Tim Sills made substitutions one of these being Matty Neale who completed the scoring in the 72nd minute with another great goal, He picked up the ball in mid-field, and following a jinxing run found the top corner of the net from 25 yards out.To their credit; at no time did Hythe & Dibden ever give in or stop trying, they were just beaten on the day by a much better more experienced team. If they show the same fighting spirit in future games they will pick up points. Meanwhile the Hammers look forward to a much tougher test in their next game against Cirencester in the FA Cup, when they will have to be at their very best.

F/T 0-5

Hamworthy United; S. Murphy H. Wright, C. Clarke, B. Walker, A. Costello, D. Esccott-Young, L. Francis (Cpt), C. Munn, D. Cann, E. Hodge.

Subs: J. Filkins, J. Lovell, M. Neale

27 views0 comments


bottom of page