top of page

Hamworthy Utd v Glebe (FA Vase 4th Round)

The dust has settled, here's the match report from yesterday's game:

Hamworthy United 3 Glebe FC 2

Buildbase FA Vase Fourth Round (Saturday 15th January 2022)

Hamworthy were hoping to make club history by reaching the last 16 of the FA Vase for the first time. Their opponents from the Southern Counties East Premier League would certainly provide the biggest test yet in this competition. United could at least finally boast home advantage, after eight successive FA matches on the road. Dead-ball specialist Steve Devlin was also back among the substitutes after a brief period across the water at Poole Town, potentially their ace card.

In a lively opening, the visitors so nearly opened the scoring with just three minutes on the clock. A slip by Billy Walker allowed James Philpot a free run at goal. However, Walker with great determination atoned for the error, chasing back and forcing the ball over the bye-line just before the Glebe man could get his shot away. There was more drama on 5 minutes, with Foxes' man Daryl Coleman being sent off after appearing to slap Lee Francis in the face, spotted by the referee's assistant. This was while venting his frustration at one of his teammates being booked for a bad foul on Cam Munn. Despite being a man down, the Foxes continued to look the more dangerous in attack. Although the hosts created the odd half chance, the visitors looked stronger on the ball, a few times managing to prise open the United defence, although each time the danger was mopped up by keeper Murphy. They did however finally find a way through on 25 minutes when Bradley Wilson's corner was headed in at the back post by the unmarked James Philpot.

It was not until the 40th minute that the hosts were able to create their first decent chance, Cam Munn's header from Jamie Beasley's cross flying just wide. The chips certainly looked down for the Hammers when their deficit doubled after conceding a very sloppy goal in first half injury time. Connor Cocklin at the back failed to engage with Tony Rolls' throw into the United penalty area. James Philpot nipped in, skilfully looping the ball over Cocklin, before setting himself up to blast the ball into the net from close range. The Hammers had certainly not been at their best in this half. Despite being a man down, the Foxes were looking the stronger, with their tall keeper George Kamurasi also dominating the six-yard box and plucking out anything in the air. United would certainly have to put in a much better second half shift to keep their Wembley dreams alive.

H/T 0-2

The Hammers brought on Devlin for the second period and they were soon creating much better chances, though still without ever looking like beating the big frame of the Glebe keeper who was holding onto everything. This included one powerful low free kick by Devlin. The next goal was always going to be crucial, and the Hamworthy were finally able to find a way past Kamurasi in the 58th minute to give themselves hope. Jack Lovell sped into the box after picking up Lee Francis' measured through ball, but was clearly bundled over by Foxes' captain Antone Douglas. Steve Devlin's resultant spot kick had power and found the net low to the right, with the keeper this time moving the wrong way. United, with Devlin now pulling the strings were dominant, with the Foxes seemingly intent to sit back and hold onto their lead. A very good chance went begging when Cam Munn put the ball just over the bar after Max Wilcock and the keeper were both grounded, having collided battling for a 50:50 ball. Wilcock later blazed just over from a good position, picking up the clearance from a Devlin free-kick. With the home crowd now fully behind them United got back on terms on 73 minutes with a stunning strike. Again, Devlin played his part. Many of United's corners in the half had been played short to no effect, but this time Devlin's corner was put right into the mix. It was cleared back as far as co-substitute Eddie Hodge whose cracking shot from 30 yards flew into the top left corner of the net. Their one-man deficit was finally appearing to take its toll on Glebe, and United were able to complete the turnaround on 88 minutes, sending their spectators and players into frenzy. This was when Hodge's low cross from the left fell to Jamie Beasley, who took full advantage to find the back of the net. Glebe tried to get forward in the six minutes of injury time, but Hamworthy held firm to record a great victory against a very good team. United had competed much harder after the break, with much more energy in their play, and the importance of a strong bench was also shown when Tim Sills was able to bring on the likes of Man of the Match Devlin and the ever-reliable Eddy Hodge.

F/T 3-2

Hamworthy United: S Murphy, T Rolls (S Devlin HT), H Wright, D Eccott-Young (M Neale 55), C Cocklin, B Walker, J Lovell (E Hodge 70), L Francis (c), M Wilcock, C Munn, J Beasley

Unused Subs: J Filkins, S Lanahan

276 views0 comments


bottom of page