top of page

Hamworthy Utd v Christchurch

A home league game, only the 2nd one in over 2 months and a match against neighbours Christchurch. Here's the report on what was basically, the Jamie Beasley show!

Hamworthy United 7 Christchurch 0

Sydenhams Premier League (Saturday13th November 2021)

Before the game, to honour Armistice Day a two minutes silence was observed with a trumpeter playing the Last Post and Hamworthy stalwart Bill Hutching parading the British Legion flag. A wreath was laid on the centre spot by President Bruce Scammell.

Even the most fervent Hamworthy fans would have felt a little sympathy for their neighbours and opponents toiling for points near the foot of the table before today’s game. Unfortunately, a change of management had seen Christchurch’s very promising side of recent years break up in the close season. Ex-Hammers' boss Callum Brooks has recently taken charge, but there would be no sympathy on the pitch from the Hammers who needed maximum points to keep in the leading pack.

The big gulf in league positions took only thirty seconds to show itself. In a move starting straight from the kick-off, and before a Church man had meaningfully touched the ball, Jamie Beasley's cross from the left was headed into the net by ex-Church man Max Wilcock. The Hammers continued to have Christchurch on the ropes, with short-passing moves which looked good, but had no real end product. They did however manage to break through again on 21 minutes. Jamie Beasley on the left played in an excellent looping ball into the path of Wilcock. The United man's path to goal was cynically brought to a halt by Luke Ansell who was perhaps rather fortunate that the card shown to him was yellow rather than red. At last, Hamworthy showed that they can convert from the spot in normal play, following some missed opportunities in league games recently. Jamie Beasley rifled the ball home into the bottom right-hand corner giving keeper Sukhraj Dulai no chance. In the 40th minute Christchurch man Raf Santos suffered a suspected broken arm after an awkward fall, with no other player involved. He was taken to hospital, and all at Hamworthy wish him well. The Hammers were awarded a second penalty right on half time. This was when the referee deemed Jamie Power's high foot on Jack Lovell a foul, as both players run into each other chasing a ball on the edge of the area. This one looked a little harsh, but it did not bother Jamie Beasley who this time chose the left-hand corner, sending the Dulai the wrong way. The score at the whistle was a fair reflection of United’s dominance, with their keeper Shane Murphy a spectator.

H/T 3-0

Following the break, the visitors at last gave Shane Murphy something to think about. Following a rare defensive error, the keeper did enough to thwart the clean through ex-Hammer James King. The Hammers however were soon cranking up the pressure again, and were also showing more sting in front of goal, with Dulai pulling off a couple of good saves. It was no surprise when the Hammers made it four on 66 minutes, after a top-drawer build-up. Tony Rolls's long diagonal ball to the impressive Beasley who rounded the full back and pulled back into the path of Matt Neale. Neale then drove the ball just inside the far post, giving the keeper no chance to save. Christchurch tried to up their game, but with very little success against a strong experienced defence. The Hammers bagged their fifth goal in the 81st minute. Another mesmerising cross by Beasley came back off a defender, but only into the path of Matt Neale whose thumping effort on the bounce found the top right corner. Three minutes later Lee Francis skilfully turned in yet another Beasley cross at the near post. On 86 minutes the Hammers were in seventh heaven, that ironically stemmed from a slick move that involved all ex-Church players. After Billy Walker had showed great determination to cleanly win the ball off Ethan Maddocks, he played the ball to Eddie Hodge who laid the ball into Matty Neale's path. After ghosting past a player, superbly played in Wilcock who was able to square the ball to Matt Neale for an easy finish, and his hat-trick. When the final whistle came, the Hammers were well worthy of their large victory. They had too much skill and experience on the day in what was a very one-sided affair.

F/T 7-0

Hamworthy United: S Murphy, T Rolls, H Wright (C Clarke 70), M Neale, C Cocklin (D Randall 65), A Costello, E Hodge, L Francis (c), M Wilcock, J Lovell (B Walker 60), J Beasley

To go with that report, here's the goals and this time, the save from Shane Murphy too, who on a quiet day, was there when needed to protect the clean sheet.

1st goal after 30 seconds

2nd goal

3rd goal

Murphy save

4th goal

5th goal

6th goal

7th goal

82 views0 comments


bottom of page