top of page

Hamworthy Utd Res 4 Poole Borough 1

Dorset Premier League (Saturday 4-12-2021)

This local derby with near neighbours Poole Borough was like last week match; a six pointer. Borough stood one place and one point above the Hammers so a win today would be vital to both teams. Unfortunately, Mike Wearden had to make six changes to his squad that won their previous game at Corfe Castle due to illness and other reasons. The game last week was played in gale force winds and on a poor playing surface. Today’s game again had to be played with a strong wind blowing down the pitch, but at least this time a perfect playing surface was ensured.

For the first twenty minutes play was fairly even with neither side able to create many clear-cut chances. Hamworthy after having to get used to their new line-up gradually came more into the game the more it progressed. In the 26th minute a telling long ball from Ethan Quarchioni was picked up by Erik Mukambi just on the left-hand side of the penalty area he cut in and slid the ball past the tall Borough keeper, and in off the right-hand-post. The visitors tried to raise their game with ex-Poole Town Southern League striker Carl Preston, now playing at full back doing his best to raise his team. However, the United defence who had looked at times a bit dodgy at the start of the game when their decision making was at times poor; were now playing much better and looking a much more solid outfit. The score remained the same until the Referee blew for half-time, and this was probably a fair reflection of the half with the Hammers just edging it.

H/T 0-1

Hamworthy now gradually improved as the game progressed and were looking the more likely to score. The Borough goal when it came in the 64th minute was against the run of play. A Poole player appeared to push his opponent as they both went for the ball, with the players ending in a heap. To many people’s surprise the Referee saw it differently, and gave the free-kick to the Borough. The long free kick deep into the United half was put out for a corner. The unfortunate Hamworthy keeper who until now had done nothing wrong saw Preston’s dangerous in swinging corner go over his head and into the far corner of the net. To their credit the Reserves did not cave in as they have in the past, but fought back and restored their lead two minutes later. This time a good move involving Joe Wearden was finished off in style by Ethan Quarchioni. The Hammers were now growing in confidence and were now playing some good passing football. The more mature Borough players on the other hand were visibly slowing, and were now finding their younger opponent’s pace difficult to deal with. Carl Preston was perhaps lucky to be only shown a yellow card for a dangerous tackle which left stud-marks down his young opponent’s shins. It was no more than United deserved when Jo Wearden again assisted Ethan Quarchio to score his second and Hamworthy’s third in the 79th minute. It was now one way traffic with the Hornets just praying for the final whistle. However, in the second minute of time added on Jack Delves put the cherry on the cake and found the far corner of the net with a lofted shot over the keeper’s head. The Reserves thoroughly deserved their win after a hesitant start, and they now go two points above to-day’s opposition in the league with games in hand. They are still very much a work in progress, but they are now going in the right direction and are playing so much better. Their next opponents Holt are usually a very physical side, but if they play like they did in the second half they are in with a chance.

F/T 4-1

Hamworthy United: F. Ball, L. Barringer, J.Barron, J. Gentle, G. Haynes, L. Middllewick (L. Middlwick 68min), E. Mukaambi (J. Orchard 79min), E. Quarchioni, I. Storey, J. Wearden. R. Cawley (53 min)

17 views0 comments


bottom of page