top of page

Hamworthy Utd 5 Shaftesbury 0

Match report from last Tuesday's game:

Sydenhams Premier League

Tuesday 6th October 2020

A fourth consecutive league win could push Hamworthy up to third in the standings. Their North Dorset visitors however have generally given the Hammers a tough fight, and would no doubt be looking to turn the corner after an indifferent start to the campaign, having taking only 3 points from 15 available. For the third successive game United boss Tim Sills not surprisingly started with the same eleven.

A decent County Ground crowd of 103, at our first home game since the opening day of the season, were hoping to see both the quality of football and results that the Hammers had been producing of late on the road. 

Hamworthy did not disappoint. Jamie Beasley saw on early cross-come-shot hit the word work. That apart, although the hosts were full of ideas, these were just not coming off, with a tendency to overhit the final ball.  

That all changed on 20 minutes with a goal of some class. Declan Randall on the right played the ball across to Dan Cann, who then teed the ball inwards to Eddie Hodge. Eddie Hodge's shot from 25 yards flew like an arrow into the top left corner and would have graced any game at any level.  

Hamworthy were now well on top. A little later, Hodge's cross skimmed the top of the bar as it found touch. Cann and Matty Neale were then unable to convert good chances. 

It was though courtesy of poor Shaftesbury defending that United doubled their lead on 33 minutes. Although visiting stopper Rowan Gravin was having a fine match, his short ball forward to Morgan Browning from a back pass was not the best. Browning himself then got into a bit of a muddle, was robbed by Hodge, before catching the United man's leg for a clear penalty. Dan Cann's spot kick was not the best either, but still found the bottom right of the net, with the keeper almost getting to it.     

United keeper Shane Murphy, who so far had been little more than a spectator, proved his concentration, leaping to his right to push over a blistering effort by Jordan Matthews. This only punctuated the home team's dominance. On the stroke of half time, Gravin again saved well from Max Buckler after good work by Cann.   

Half Time 2-0

The Hammers gave themselves clear daylight when they netted another fine goal on 48 minutes. Beasley's pinpoint cross from the left teed up a simple header for Dan Cann positioned right in front of goal, duly put away. 

With United now rampant, visiting keeper Gravin managed to keep the score at bay with some good blocks. He also showed commendable courage and anticipation to pluck the ball from the feet of the advancing James Guthrie played in by a measured long ball by captain Lee Francis.   

It was no surprise when United bagged a fourth on 80 minutes. James Guthrie's cross was cleared by a defender, but only into the path of co-substitute James King who slammed the ball high into the far corner of the net.  

Gravin made two more fine saves, but was powerless to stop United making it five on 88 minutes. Substitute Jamie Filkins found captain Lee Francis with some neat one touch football, who in turn found the net with a good finish. 

Come the final whistle, the Hammers could feel well satisfied with this five-star performance. The fact that all their three substitutes played their part in the second half scoring also shows the quality of the squad in the depth. Shaftesbury gave it their best, but the clear difference in class was always going to tell.  

Full Time 5-0

Hamworthy United: S Murphy, D Randall, C Clarke, M Buckler (J Filkins 80), T Rolls, A Costello, E Hodge, L Francis (c), M Neale (J King 75), D Cann (J Guthrie 70), J Beasley

Unused Subs: T Rees, T Cooper

27 views0 comments


bottom of page