top of page

Hamworthy Utd 5 Bashley 1

Wessex League Cup - Semi Final

With spectators still not permitted, a lucky 20 or so people who popped down to the Clubhouse for an evening drink sat outside, might have glanced over at a game just so happening to be on and if they did, lucky them!

There was plenty of live coverage with the superb TBTVSports providing a live stream, check out his channel here:

and great live commentary from other friends Radio Sport Live which can be found here:

Of course we have the goals from our VEO camera too!

An expected tight match lived up to it's billing in the first half with honours pretty even. Some robust challenges from both sides led to some 4 bookings before the break. Bashley started brightly with the Hammers coming back into the game as the half wore on with some reasonable chances for both sides to open the scoring, but it remained 0-0 at Hlaf Time.

The 2nd half turned out to be a belter from a Hammer's perspective and ended up to be the Steve Devlin show, who once again showed how good his left foot is scoring 3 goals all from at least 30 yards! Twice he spotted the Bashley keeping off his line to finish superbly from long range. The first on 52 minutes, a dipping volley from probably 40yds into the roof of the net leaving the keeper who was only 6 yards out at the time of the strike looking bemused as it dipped under the bar.

In the 62nd minute, the Hammers doubled their lead. From a free-kick in their own half, Murphy sent it long with Hodge challenging for the ball on the corner of the opponent's 18 yard box. The ball fell to Cam Munn who superbly found Dan Cann in the area (ok, definitely a shot) who calmly slotted past the advancing keeper. Watching live, it looked like Cann might have been offside, but replays show he was very much onside, well done to the linesman for a correct call.

Hamworthy were now in control and 5 minutes later, the tie was effectively settled with Devlin's 2nd on the night, another beauty. From a Bashley free kick midway inside their half, he pinched the ball of the receiving player and then from fully 45 yards drilled a missile over the keeper (too quick even for the VEO camera to keep up!).

With the Hammers now enjoying themselves, the 4th was added just 4 minutes later and was a superb counter attack. Good work from Crit Clarke and initially Lee Francis retrieved the ball just outside the Hamworthy box on the left. Clarke advanced with the ball feeding Neale who slotted Hodge through down the right wing. All this time, Beasley was making up ground on the left wing and Hodge squared from the right from the corner of the box to Beasley who fired past the Bashley keeper from about 10 yards.

Bashley then immediately hit back and a cross from the left deceived Murphy into an uncharacteristic mis judgement managing to palm the cross onto Clarke which ricocheted into the net.

This pepped Bashley up for a short period and then Devlin on 77 minutes completed his hat-trick, this time from a free-kick. From about 30yards and to the right side of the pitch, he curled the free kick up and over the wall, dropping it inside the goalkeeper's left hand post - pin point!

There were no more goals after this and Manager Tim Sills looked very pleased with the team's performance, especially the 2nd half and now awaits to see who the opponents will be in the final on Saturday 22nd May at Porchester where fans may well be allowed!!

162 views0 comments


bottom of page