top of page

FA Vase - Cadbury Heath v Hamworthy Utd

Another match, another trip and a potential banana skin, here's match report:

Cadbury Heath 1 (5) Hamworthy United 1 (6)

Buildbase FA Vase First Round Proper (Saturday 23rd October 2021)

Travel weary Hamworthy's eighth cup game this season, all away from the County Ground, today took them to Bristol based Cadbury Heath of the Toolstation Western League Premier Division. The Heathens seem to have turned the corner after a poor start, having won four of their last five games, including their recent FA Vase win at Longwell Green. Despite the Hammers' current hectic fixture schedule and treatment table, their strength in depth has still enabled them to churn out excellent results and they would surely start off as favourites.

Indeed, there was nothing in the early stages of the game to suggest this would be anything other than a mere canter for the visitors, who pressed forward from the word go. Twice early on they hit the woodwork, first Crit Clarke seeing his cross-come-shot bounce back off the bar, before Max Wilcock's glancing header to Steve Devlin's corner found the far post. As the minutes continued to tick away however, United frustratingly could not find a way through. A couple of decent long diagonal balls to Jamie Beasley, prone to time his run too early, fell prey to offside. Meanwhile Jordan Schofield in the Cadbury goal made some good saves, with other efforts just missing the target. It was with some relief when Lee Francis finally found the back of the net on 41 minutes, getting between defenders to stab home Beasley's low cross from the left. Tommy Scott in the home goal had barely touched the ball before having to make his first save in first half injury time, parrying into touch a long shot from Suhayl Ahmed. From the resulting corner, Matt Huxley almost managed an improbable equaliser, heading just over the bar.

H/T 0-1

Although Scott was soon in action again after the restart holding onto a good effort by Junathain Walker at his near post, United must surely have felt they had put the game to bed on 49 minutes. This was when Steve Devlin's corner from the left was apparently spilled into his own net by the Heathens' keeper under pressure from Wilcock. The referee initially awarded the goal, and there was certainly no flag raised. The Cadbury players though vehemently protested their keeper had got two hands on the ball, and the referee then changed his mind after consulting his assistant, and now awarding the hosts a free kick. With Beasley directed to the sin-bin on 55 minutes for protesting following a strong challenge; the Heathens then stunned United on the hour when the tall Dean Preddie's powerful header at the far post crashed into the net to level the score. The uplifted hosts certainly raised their game after that point, with United suddenly looking rather tetchy in front of goal. Although the Hammers did come back strongly at the end, Francis just being unable to connect with Adam Costello's cross at the far post, it was the hosts who so nearly won it in injury time. Heathens' substitute Octavian Gala was clean through, with the whole goal to aim at from two yards, but Scott rescued United guessing correctly and blocking his shot.

F/T 1-1

A game United should have won, but the Heath so nearly did win, now went to the lottery of penalties. All strikes, within the scheduled five apiece, found the net, apart from Tony Rolls' second shot for Hamworthy and Cadbury's third attempt, both coincidentally coming down off the bar. Then it became sudden death. Lee Francis converted, followed by Ash Kendall for the Heathens. Adam Costello put the advantage back with the Hammers, before Tommy Scott rightfully earned the adulation of his teammates, getting a hand to Ewan McMillan's rather tame effort.

Penalties 5-6

Hamworthy United: T Scott, H Wright, C Clarke, M Buckler, T Roles, A Costello, D Eccott-Young (E Hodge 65), S Devlin, M Wilcock (J Lovell 75), L Francis (c), J Beasley

Unused Subs: B Walker

65 views0 comments


bottom of page