top of page

Development Side update

The Development side have been preparing for their upcoming season in the Hampshire Combination & Development League with some friendlies.

Here's some reports from the Manager, Mick Wearden:

Bankes Cup v Hamworthy Rec Res - Lost 3-5

Nerves got the better of the team in the early stages against a much older and more experienced set of players. After 20 minutes we were 0-4 down. Time for some changes and Joss, Holford, Anthony Seglo and Harry Grant were brought on to steady things.

The midfield trio of Holford, Wearden and Oliver started to influence the game which resulted in a well worked goal with the captain Jack Delves slotting home just before the break, 1-3.

Into the 2nd half and the Hammers continued to control the game and an excellent strike from Holford made it 2-3. The comeback was completed after a driving run from right back Levi Middlewick led to a shot coming back off the post and Seglo smashing in from close range.

The Hammers were looking for a 4th and came close several times, one being an audacious attempted chip from half way from Holford! However, it was Ham Rec who took advantage of an increasingly attacking Hamworthy Utd team and scored in the final 5 minutes to confirm the win.

Credit to our young Hammers showing a lot of grit and determination to fight back after such a bad start.

Friendly - v New Milton Town - Lost 3-4

This was going to be a tough fixture with the Poole Town Development squad effectively moving to New Milton.

More players were looked at and tactics changed to hopefully stay more solid during the early part of the game. This seemed to work and the Hammers started very well containing a very good young New Milton team. After half and hour, a well struck Free kick from Richie Galeg saw us take a lead which stayed to half time.

4 changes were made at half time giving more players game time which of course changed the team dynamic which in turn opened the game up. Holford doubled the Hammers lead from the edge of the box after a well worked team move.

New Milton then started a comeback and managed to get the game back to 2-2 before Gary Hind latched onto a cross from Delves to make it 3-2.

A big turning point then came in the game with the referee awarding New Milton a very dubious penalty after their forward collided with our keeper which they duly converted to level the game at 3-3. Again, looking for the win, a goal was conceded in the final 5 minutes leading to a New Milton win.

Cruel finish to a game many positives were taken from. Next up, the league season starts.

74 views0 comments


bottom of page