top of page

DEV: Hamworthy United 8 - 1 Lymington Town Reserves

[Photographs: SRL Photography]

Team; J.Tragaskes, L. Middlewick, S. Weld, O. Jeans, H. Grant, D. Dwyer, K. McCrow, M. Oliver, J. Kemp, C. Munn, J. Delves, E. Dacre, L. Rufus, E. Mukambi, M. Davidson.

This was going to be Hamworthy United’s young Development Squad’s first game ever in the Wyvern Combination League, and it was a bit of a step into the unknown. Manager Mick Wearden fielded a very youthful squad containing at least six under eighteens, three of which were still only sixteen. The Lymington Town squad on the other hand looked much more mature both in age and physic.

The game started as it was going to continue at a fast pace. The young Hammers did not take long to find their rhythm and the back of the net. Jamie Kemp’s fine finish came as early as the second minute after an excellent passing movement in the build up. Three minutes later United doubled their lead with another well crafted goal this time scored by Jack Delves. He was picked out by a defence splitting pass from Cam Munn, before running on and coolly finding the back of the net, giving the Town keeper no chance. Lymington were finding Hamworthy’s pace and passing game very difficult to deal with, and were finding it hard to get out of their own half. On one of the few occasions they did they made the most of a rare mistake in the Hammers defence. Hamworthy showed a lack of attention when they were caught ball watching. This allowed Nick Watts, Lymington’s best forward the time and space to pull one back for the visitors. The Town raised their game for a while but only really threatened from set pieces where they had height advantage. The young Hammers kept their cool and another very well taken goal from Jamie Kemp restored the two goal lead. United were now playing with great confidence and skill pulling the Town defence all over the place. Jamie Kemp scored again to make it a hat-trick before scoring his fourth goal on the stroke of half time, and completing a very satisfying first half.

The second half continued in exactly the same way as the first with Hamworthy dictating play with their quick passing, and often one touch play. Lymington never really bothered James Tregaskas the United Keeper much except from the odd corner, or free kick, which was comfortably dealt with. Mick Wearden made changes as expected throughout the half, one of which was to replace Jamie Kemp after his busy workout in the first. This did not stop the Hammers from continuing to play some exciting football scoring another three goals before the end of play. Kai McCrow scored yet another good goal, before Danny Dwyer one of the more senior players, but still in his early twenties, found the back of the net with a header. Levi Middlewick completed the scoring clinically finishing off yet another great passing move involving several of the United players. With still some way to go it looked as if Hamworthy might get double figures, but this was not to be as players began understandably to tire after playing at such a pace. It is early days but nobody could have predicted such a great start to the season. It was a great team effort enjoyed by everybody involved with Hamworthy United. If the team continues to play like this they will do well and many more people will want to watch them.

Well done Boys.

More images from the game can be found here

248 views0 comments


bottom of page