top of page

Bashley 0 Hamworthy Utd 3

Report from the midweek game from Tony and Roger:

Wessex Premier League (Tuesday September 8th 2020)

If previous history is anything to go by then this was going to be a tough close fought encounter between two teams looking to improve on their mid-table positions of recent years. Both Hamworthy and Bashley have enjoyed good pre-season results, and have had a reasonable start to the season. The Stags especially got a very good away win at Portland 1-2 in their first league match outing; in a game they evidently dominated. The Hammers could only draw 1-1 at home to a very good Christchurch side who are amongst the favourites to win the league this time round. However, it was a fair result with very little to choose between the sides. This game was played before a large crowd of 193; who were to witness a vey good advertisement for Wessex League football.

The game started as it was to continue, being played at a very high tempo both fast and furious.

It was United who took the lead in the 13th minute. Dann Cann took full advantage of some poor Bashley defending when he kept his cool to take the ball off of them and find the net to make it 0-1. The home side had barely time to recover before United’s talented young striker Cameron Munn increased their lead less than 2 minutes later with another well taken goal. To their credit the Home side did not let the goals unsettle them too much, and began to battle their way back into the game. They were now having a bit more possession in midfield, but were coming up against a strong and very well organised Hamworthy defence, well marshalled by the returning Adam Costello. This meant that keeper Shane Murphy had a fairly easy first half having no really difficult goal attempts to deal with. Bashley’s defence was now looked a bit more stable and less easy to penetrate. Never the less they could have conceded a third when when Munn saw his fierce shot pushed over the bar following an acrobatic save by Harry Gravett. The Hammers went in totally deserving their first half lead, having the edge on play with a good team performance.

H/T 0-2

The second half continued to produce the fast and furious football of the first, as Bashley tried to get a toe-hole in the game. In fact, they were now taking the game much more to United, but were still very much thwarted by a resolute Hamworthy defence. They did come close when a thirty-yard rocket from Lewis forced Murphy into making his only real save of the game. The same player then just missed the target after his first effort hit the post. Nearing the end, the Home-side continued to push forward and as so often happens committed another fatal error at the back. With a minute to go United once again stole the ball off a defender, and Dann Cann with a well-placed shot found the net for his 2nd and Hamworthy’s 3rd goal.

Tim Sills must have been delighted with this team performance especially as he once again had to make changes to his line-up. This will put them in good stead for their next tough game in the FA Cup against Hartley Wintney from two leagues higher, and four more away games on the trot.

F/T 0-3

Hamworthy: S, Murphy, T. Rolls, D. Randall, A, Costello T. Cooper, M. Buckler, L. Francis, E. Hodge, D. Cann, M.Niel, C. Munn.

Subs: J. King, C. Cocklin, O. Davis.

44 views0 comments


bottom of page