top of page

Alresford Town 0 Hamworthy Utd 4

Following swiftly on from the FA Cup match was another Cup match and a trip to Alresford in the Wessex League Cup. The report:

Sydenhams Wessex League Cup (Tuesday 15th September 2020)

Hamworthy United Manager Tim Sills decided to rest a lot of the players who were so unlucky to have lost 0-1 to Hartley Witney in the F.A. Cup game the previous Saturday. He used the opportunity to get a look at some of the other players in his strong squad and give them the opportunity to get a full game in; and a chance to impress. The Hosts had also made a reasonable start to the season sitting one place below the Hammers in 6th place, but having played one game more.

There was not much to choose between the two teams in the first half with both teams having the opportunity to take the lead. Oli Davis and Declan Randall both picked up injuries, and had to be replaced by the returning new signing Jamie Beasley, and Tony Rolls respectively. Both keepers were called into action, and did well to prevent the opposition from scoring. However, the deadlock was broken in the 44th minute when Critt Clarke was found out on the right wing and put in a pinpoint cross to the far post. This was met by Cam Munn with a fine header which he nodded back across goal and just inside the far post to give United the lead. This was a great way to mark his eighteenth Birthday, and send his team in at the break with the narrow lead they deserved.

H/T 0-1

Hamworthy still had the edge on possession after the interval, and were playing some good football, but it took until the 68th minute for them to double their lead. Another deep cross to the back post was this time met by Beasley who headed it back to Munn. He then laid the ball off to James King leaving him with the simple task of rolling the ball into the net. This made Arlesford raise their game as they battled to get back into the match. The Hamworthy defence however; backed by some steady goalkeeping were playing well as a team, and prevented them from doing so. It was United who were to score again following some good inter-play between Munn and Dan Cann; that finished with a mix up by the home defence and an Own Goal by their Keeper. With four minutes left young Cam Munn finished the game off with a stunning goal from fully 35yds out that gave the keeper no chance. This was going to be a birthday he will always remember having scored twice and having an assist in both the other goals. Arlesford still had time to get a player sent off following a show of tetchiness just before the final whistle blew.

Tim Sills and his management Staff must have been highly delighted with this result. It was a great team result; despite making five changes to his starting line from Saturday. It must give everybody a huge lift in confidence for the long hard season ahead and for their next away game at Baffins Milton Rovers. Lastly Man of the Match surely had to be Birthday Boy Cam Munns.

F/T 0-4

Team: T. Rees, T. Cooper, C. Clarke, D. Randall (T. Rolls) A. Costello, L. Francis, J. Filkins, O. Davis (J. Beasley), C. Munn, D. Cann, (E. Hodge) J. King

Unused Subs: S Murphy, M. Neale

40 views0 comments


bottom of page